Saturday 2 July 2011

My camera collection

Below are the list of cameras I’ve owned since 2008, and what they meant to me:

1.    Olympus SP570 UZ – my 1st serious camera, and one that practically changed my entire view of Olympus and made me a devoted fan until today. Sold it to a friend 4 months later to fund the E-520

2.    Olympus E-520 – my 1st DSLR. I already had a good impression of Olympus ever since I used the 570, so graduating to another Olympus camera is pretty much a no brainer. I practically bought it the moment it arrived on the shelves, and felt the time was right since I’ve gained enough interest in photography to become serious

3. Olympus E-1 – my current full time DSLR. So good, I practically live with it’s shortcomings and enjoy it’s film-like and pleasantly rendered images. The E-520 is now my backup, only brought out when I want to carry a lighter package

4.   Olympus OM-1n MD US – my 1st film SLR. I’m still very happy with it, and actually enjoy it more than my 35SP since I still haven’t gotten used to a rangefinder yet. A fully mechanical SLR that doesn’t need batteries to work, so it’s all good
 
5.    Olympus 35SP rangefinder – my 2nd film camera and 1st experience of owning a rangefinder. Not as sweet of an experience as I’ve expected, but at least I can finally claim to have owned and used one.

My non-Olympus cameras:

1.    Panasonic LUMIX LX-5 – my second most preferred camera after the E-1. It was, to me, a true street photography machine that produced high quality pics to rival that from a DSLR (albeit at < ISO400). Sold it off after several months of use as backup funds for the upcoming XZ-1 or E-PL2. Never got to buy any of those eventually as I was pretty much satisfied with my E-1 and my film cameras. I shall miss it so as it made life a whole lot more convenient and the image quality was truly excellent for it’s size

2.    E-mook Clover San toy camera – this was technically my 1st ever film camera. Very small and adorable, but I never enjoyed it much as it was impractical (you can only shoot at ONE shutter speed, and ONE aperture!), which is what I already expected before buying it. It’s only good as a camera for having fun, since you just need to look through that tiny window and snap. I still use it though when I’m bored and the day is sunny. Bought it in Kinokuniya KLCC just for kicks and to feel what it’s like to shoot with a cheap plastic toy. 

3. (UPDATED) Canon AF35M II / Autoboy 2 (Japan) - I found this while rummaging through my drawer full of trash one fine day. It was given to me by my aunt back in high school, but I left it lying in the dark as I wasn't into photography at all back then. Much to my surprise, after more than 10 years of languishing, I popped in 2 AA batteries and it ACTUALLY FIRES UP! It's loud as a mortar cannon, that' for sure, but I'm not certain if it's due to it's old age (produced back in 1983). Currently testing it with a roll of film and see if it's REALLY working.

No comments:

Post a Comment